Saturday 1 May 2010

While you were away

I've been off in England since the beginning of April, and during that time there has been exceptionally little rain.

As a result, the grass seed I put down where the moat used to be (the trench outside the front door) managed to sprout - I'd been watering it - and then either wither in the drought, or perhaps get eaten by our neighbour's chickens. The end result was a lot of bare earth where I'd hoped for a pasture.

More worryingly, you leave your house unoccupied for three weeks and what do you find when you get back? Squatters!

Photobucket

This is the probably the same black redstart that raised a brood inside the barn last year, and is still annoyed that we have now shut the windows and plasterboarded over her previous nest site. You can still see the souvenirs she and they left behind on all our new woodwork.

As this mixing tray is hanging from the beam of my outside workshop, not quite above head height and close to the bench, I am going to have to be careful not to knock the nest out. And we'll have to hope I don't need the saw or the lead-light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers