Saturday 11 December 2010

Getting warmer

After quite a long time working on the solar heating, I finally got the panels mounted on the roof of the garden shed, and connected up to the pipework. It took all day, and the sun was just starting to set when I took the picture:

Photobucket

It had been a sunny day and the copper pipes at the top of the panels got too hot to touch, even with the white plastic film reflecting most of the heat. The small amount of steam that came out suggested that the manufacturer had tested them with water for leaks. A couple of the the connector pipes were damaged in transit (thanks, TNT) and I am concerned that they will leak tomorrow when I finally fill the system up and get it under pressure. I can only hope that a thick winding of PTFE tape will block the gaps.

The temperature sensor isn't yet in place, so I'll have something to do (splicing and soldering) while the system is filling up. The first fill will just be water as I am not sure whether I have enough of the special anti-freeze to be able to waste a litre or two. I think I have worked out a way to flush the water out when the antifreeze finally goes in. But we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers