Thursday 22 November 2012

Gated at last

Today I hung the remaining gates. The bigger ones were a bit more difficult, but the principles were the same - just a heavier sledgehammer needed.

Photobucket

There will eventually be a proper wooden rail fence on each side - I shall try to match it to the gates, with five bars - but at present there's an electric fence. The wire goes over the top via a couple of bamboo poles.

The top gate is now complete with the smaller pedestrian gate hung too. It was fairly tricky drilling through the sleepers across the widest part, which is a lot further than a normal wood-bit will reach. I do have an extension rod for these, but it goes without saying that the grub-screws that should hold the drill-bit in were missing. I improvised, but it was a bit clunky. For these holes I drilled a smaller pilot-hole first. It made getting them level a bit easier.

Photobucket

The latch on the pedestrian gate isn't really quite satisfactory, and I think I'll shift it down to the gate in the wood, and replace it with a simple, maybe spring-loaded, bolt. In any event, I'll have to fix a reasonably large wooden post to the wall of the farmhouse to take it.

Annoyingly, the dogs have no trouble at all ducking under the gates. Still, the cows won't be able to slide under, and that's why we put the gates up.

1 comment:

Followers