Thursday 24 January 2013

Back carpentering

The weather has warmed up just a little so I'm back again making legs for my workbench.

This is one before assembly, not yet glued and waiting to be marked out for the cross-members against a previously finished leg:

 photo clamped4_zpsc9521fcd.jpg

The reason I haven't actually marked and cut the gaps for the cross-members is that it is best to mark off from the corresponding leg that takes the other ends. But that one is clamped and waiting for the glue to dry right now:


Photobucket

so it's a little difficult to take accurate measurements from it.

The one in progress has been cut for the long stretchers, as the leg at the other end is already done and I can make sure the two ends match. Well, up to a point, of course: one at the other end has a cut that's about half a centimetre out, but I can deal with that when I make the cross-member (if I remember, that is).

I've been lucky with the timber I bought, as I have managed to cut all four legs (twelve pieces) from a single plank. I have two planks left that should let me get out the long stretchers and shorter cross-members, and some very big offcuts for the work-surface ends and the leg-vice. But until it's all cut out I won't be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers