Tuesday 10 December 2013

Next door

The weather is still good - dry and sunny, so it was the right time to have a go at the next door in my workshop - this one:

 photo door5_zpse04ce3c8.jpg

I think when we first arrived the door was held shut either with a heavy prop or a bit of string: the sliding bar (a bit of bent reinforcing rod) and its guides were an early improvement of my own. But although they are still fairly solid, the door is visibly falling apart.

The new one was a bit quicker to do than the first as I'd found it was easier to use the router table to make the lapped sections of the board, rather than the hand-held router, and that I could do the whole cut in one pass without tearing the wood excessively. So here it is:

 photo Door4_zpscf76930e.jpg


It's not yet entirely finshed. It will have an interior bolt too, so I can keep it shut from the inside when it's cold or wet. And I've put up an inner wooden casing, just glued to the stonework, to reduce draughts. I've used mastic round the edges to fill the gaps between the wood and the stone on the inside: I'll use a lime mortar on the outside for cosmetic purposes.

I hope eventually to put a third hinge on, but the upper hinge pintle is missing. I'll need to cut away a bit of stone before I can cement it in, as it needs to be in line with the other two, and the pin there previously (for the upper section of the door) wasn't - you might be able to see that the unused pin is about an inch to the left of line of the bottom ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers