Monday 10 February 2014

Le bureau de Lessal

I've finally got around to replacing the temporary computer desk. It was only about five years old, and as it had been made of the highest quality recycled pallets and almost new recycled lino it had lasted well. But it also wasn't very convenient. This shows it just before it was replaced by the new arrangements behind it:

  photo desk2_zps405798b2.jpg

When it was actually leaning against the wall it was a bit less wobbly, but also much more of a dust and cobweb trap.

Using bits of wood left over from other jobs - there's chestnut from the shed doors, and the last four large oak planks from making the bedroom doors downstairs - I was able to make this:

 photo desk3_zps68dbf942.jpg

The legs were supposed to have a slightly arts and crafts air - they taper towards the top. I have also tried to keep them to what I hope will be the minimum size needed for the distinctly heavy work-surface. Altogether it's two and a half square meters of 30mm thick oak, and that is quite a weight. Each board was hand-planed, and I eventually discovered that using one of my old wooden coffin planes diagonally across the surface produced the best results. It is more than twice the size of the desk it replaced, but the "L" shape wastes less space. It doesn't wobble - it's fastened to both the walls it abuts. The shelves above are a work in progress: I have run out of suitable chestnut planks. And there is a final end section to go where the side of the grey filing cabinet shows. So more later - watch this space....

And finally - with knobs on!

The cupboards in the washing machine room ("buanderie") have now been given a coat of my special formula linseed oil treatment ("denish oil") and I've put the knobs on too. I'll now think about catches for the doors - but they do seem to stay shut without any......

 photo desk1_zps110f1503.jpg

Perhaps I now need to something about the bit of old concrete showing where the "step up" is on the left - even if it's only a coat of paint?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers