Saturday 5 December 2015

Getting it up ...

This is where I've got to with the stairs, here seen from above:

 photo stairs5_zpsqihkrctt.jpg

The actual treads are only loosely placed, and not yet wedged in, and the risers aren't there at all. That's because I'll need to take it all down to make some final adjustments. One stringer - the upper one on the left - is about 5mm higher than the other, and I think I can correct that by taking a small piece off the bottom edge where it meets the lower stringer.

 photo stairs4_zpsco0xsqrs.jpg

You can see at the inner angle of the sideways "V" formed by the stringers that there's a small amount of wood that could be removed to drop the upper stringer by the required amount. I'll probably need to re-align the edges, but that's fairly straightforward.

 photo stairs3_zpsvblzhln3.jpg

The stairs are held together by (again, temporary) wooden pegs where the stringers meet the post on the left. I'm pleased that it all feels quite solid: I've tried my own weight on the steps that are there and it felt OK. Once all the rest of the structure goes up it should be at least as solid as the rest of the fort.

I don't think I'll be putting any banisters between the two flights at the lower level: the upper flight provides enough of a barrier to falling through. The upper flight will have banisters on the left (only). 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers