Sunday 21 February 2016

When one door closes ....

The glued panel looked quite good: it is possible to see the joint, as the glue shows up a little against the varnish:

 photo ab01_zpsgqnmrwud.jpg

I left it for 24 hours to give the glue plenty of time to dry (in view of the low temperatures). Then I knocked the style gently back onto the rest of the door:

 photo ab02_zpshtqrlmg6.jpg

And when it was nice and tight, I put the pegs back in. I only had to remake one of them.

 photo ab03_zpscpn5ehm4.jpg

The panel looks (I think) much as it did before it was broken:

  photo ab04_zps9w3fnoow.jpg

And with the door back where it came from you can hardly see the damage. I cleaned up the lock mechanism, and replaced the old nail with a short length of thick copper wire. This isn't ideal, as it will gradually cut through, but all my steel pins were over at the Fort. It'll last a few years though I expect. And the lock works nice and easily now: it had some very sticky old oil inside it previously.

 photo ab05_zpsfku2ypwk.jpg



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers