Wednesday 24 February 2010

toys for the boys

Yesterday I bought a new sliding mitre saw, and now - having spent a couple of hours assembling it - I am looking for things to do with it. Apart from making doors, of course, which was why I bought it. It was surprisingly cheap and I will probably find out why. All I still need is a pillar drill to help cut the deeper mortices. I'll see if I can sneak one in soon.

In the meantime I've finally finished putting in the filler round the ill-fitting doorframes. This is an unwarranted slur on the menuisier, who made them and did his best. What really doesn't fit is the openings the frames go into. They are simultaneously out of square and not vertical, guaranteeing some interesting gaps at one point or another. Or at one point and another. And another....

So now we'll be able to treat the doorframes (linseed oil again?) and paint the walls. Which will make the room look a lot better. Regrettably the doors really need an architrave to cover the (filled) gaps between doorframe and wall, and that won't be easy, given that the walls are not vertical but the doorframes are. Some other time...

Tomorrow it will be tiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers