Tuesday 23 March 2010

The last floor is tiled

And about time too.

The six coats of linseed oil took a while - and it probably should have been more, to judge by the way the grout has stuck to some of the tiles. I tell myself it gives the tiles a pleasantly rustic look.

The one in the middle is (probably) the same tile as before:

Photobucket

And here's a general view of the room.

And yes

(a) the walls need to be painted
(b) the tiles could do with a bit more cleaning off - possibly something fun like an acid, and
(c) the oak strip for the raised section isn't there yet. I couldn't find a bit of oak 2.5 meters long.

Photobucket

In my spare time, I've also helped out a real professional builder in putting down a waterproof surface on top of the wood-chip-silo, and it certainly seems to be waterproof now. Trouble is, it is a much rougher surface than the 90-year-old concrete that was there before, and it is crying out to be tiled. I am not sure that I can face any more tiles right now.

And for a break, I spent the weekend over at the Poterie du Don, learning how to use a potters wheel. It will come as no surprise that this is a bit more difficult than it looks.

Photobucket

The windows really are a funny shape. I blame the architect. No change there, then.

And as for the sticking plaster on my head, I can only blame myself. I put the post-box just where I would hit my head on it when I straightened up after putting down a concrete sill in the farmhouse cellar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers