Tuesday 21 September 2010

Heavy doors

I've been working on the interior doors. I bought a half-cubic meter of seasoned oak planks, mostly just over 2 meters long and between 15 and 30 centimeters wide (but all about 3cm thick). These were from M Clot, who used to run a sawmill in Maurs until a few years ago, and who, having retired, is selling off the old stock. It's good stuff, though there are some woodworm holes.

I'm gradually getting better - or, if not actually better - more systematic at doing the doors. They are a fairly simple pattern, but just the same they are heavy. The biggest one, nearly a meter wide, is not quite too heavy for me to lift, but the combination of weight and size mean that I can't carry it any distance at all. So I've been moving it around on a sack barrow:

On the trolley

It goes without saying that the wooden door won't go through the outside glass door on the barrow: it's too wide, and you can't wheel it in sideways (not by yourself, anyway). So the last bit was dragged along the floor.

It's surprising how often it has to go back to the workshop. I'm not yet good enough to make it fit the aperture first time (though this one came very close), so I make it a little over size, put it in the doorway, and then pencil round it and cut it down to size. Then it has to go back to have the hinges put on in the right places. There's a fair amount of sanding annd planing to fit, too. In this case, as it is so heavy, I've bought bigger hinges, and I just hope the door itself is strong enough to support its own weight. We'll see tomorrow. I'll put some pictures up then showing a bit more detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers