Wednesday 22 September 2010

Him indoors

I did these two doors - not the one in the middle - over the last few days. I haven't yet treated them so at present there's a delicate smell of oak which will shortly be replaced by a strong smell of linseed oil. It's nice to have a door for the shower room - this morning I'd left it open and found inside the shower there was one of the cats with most of a (small) rabbit and a certain amount of blood and fur. Fortunately it all cleaned up nicely. I'm not sure whether to encourage the cat to eat what it has killed in there - better than on the stairs from the point of washing away the bloodstains - or try to persuade it to eat outside.

Hall doors

This is the big door for the bedroom, in place. It's a good fit too, and I didn't need to do a lot of adjusting. Just the same, I had it on and off its hinges at least six times.

Big door

This is the view from inside the bedroom, and you'll notice I haven't yet made the catch for the door. Tonight, to keep the cats out, it'll be wedged shut...

Just as big


This is a close-up of the catch in the shower room. The filled screw holes show up much more with the camera flash than they do in normal lighting - in daylight they hardly show at all.

Latch

I've extended the top of the guide by about a centimeter, with the idea of providing something to pull the door with. It would save putting a handle on the inside of the door. In fact the one centimeter extension isn't quite enough, and for the bedroom door I'll make it a little bigger. If we don't like it it will be very easy to cut it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers