Wednesday 1 February 2012

What a shower!

I fitted the shower today, with a bit of difficulty, as I don't think anyone planned to have the shower column fastened to a wall made of tiled plasterboard. Worse, behind the place where it fixes are a couple of metal uprights. But I think in the end, by using longer screws and a judicious bit of superglue, it's fixed firmly enough.

Photobucket

I've now grouted nearly all the areas that are tiled, but I am still waiting for the edge pieces, so I can't finish. And although I have tested the shower for leaks, I can't really use it yet as I have to put that nasty silicone sealant between the bottom of the tiles and the shower tray.

I grouted around the sink, too:

Photobucket

As this is grout that goes between a glazed surface and a glazed basin, it took a long time to set. Much more difficult than doing joins between tiles. One day I may succeed in removing that label too: it seems to have been stuck on with something a lot harder than my fingernails. The water supply is now connected and it works fine.

I also started tidying up under the basin:

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Before and after: in the second picture there's a thin bit of tile holding the flexible pipes out of the way while the cement is wet. It will come out later. I can't tile it just yet (even if the cement were dry) as I am possibly short of the brown tiles, and I may need to tile it, at least partly, with off-cuts. It would be better to do that where it won't really show than somewhere very visible. I have plenty of the light-coloured ones, though.

It is all beginning to look like a proper bathroom, which is heartening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers