Monday 7 July 2014

Hitting the Hangar

The hangar is about to get a concrete floor - at last. Working on any of the vehicles currently presents a major difficulty. If you drop anything small, there's an evens chance that you'll never find it again in the dust on the floor. Add to that the chickens' frequent dustbaths, which spread the dust all over everything in the hangar, and you can see why the job needs to be done.

First, though, it has to be emptied completely. I took all the cars out (this had to wait until I had done the electronic ignition on the H-van) and moved quite a bit from the left hand corner before I took the first pictures:

 photo hangar1_zpsb16db69f.jpg

One of the things that had been sitting in the corner for several years was the old and ricketty steps that used to give access to the platform. I dug it out and fixed it in the middle of the wall, as I knew I'd be up and down all day when sorting out the timber.

 photo hangar3_zps89e76dce.jpg

The next picture is as things are today, after quite a lot of sorting. The wood goes one of three ways. Stuff that is solid and potentially useable goes up to the platform. Wood that is reasonably thick and not too much eaten by wood-worm gets chopped up with the circular saw. Anything else - pine boards that you can break across your knee, for example - goes straight to the bonfire. 

 photo hangar2_zps417814cc.jpg

I've started a bit of sorting on the wood still there: firewood on the left, and useable wood on the right. Much of the middle remains to be investigated, but I'd guess most of it is firewood.

Although it hardly looks different I'd guess I've moved a good ton of wood out. There's a large pile of firewood now next door.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers