Thursday 31 July 2014

In the hole and still digging

I've been hacking away at the rock in my pit at intervals over the last few days, and it is now just about possible to see the difference. Before, it looked like this:

 Pit at the end of July photo beton3_zps5a8144dc.jpg

And now it looks like this:

 photo pit4_zps128b583b.jpg

Oh, really not that much difference then - the camera cannot lie.

I've mostly been using the hammer drill, and cleaning carefully after each pass. That way it's possible to see which way the grain of the rock goes, and so break it away more easily. The rock layers are of course distinctly twisted and the rock is full of hard lumps.Occasionally and at the edge I've resorted to the angle-grinder, as otherwise the hole will get to be a very irregular shape, and I'd rather it stayed reasonably rectangular. Mikey has been helping with a hose to cool the disc and keep the dust down.

It's still very hard work though ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers