Tuesday 2 September 2014

A coffin for a giant

I've finally got the pit ready for the concrete. It took a while....

The bottom is almost flat, but isn't yet concreted over. Down there I've done the bottom 60cm of the pit in hand-mixed concrete, and a bit higher at each end. 

 photo pit01_zps22505128.jpg

I used the boards sold by chausson as "coffrage" to do the lower sections, but they were badly warped and I decided I didn't want curved walls for the upper parts. So the structure you can see is made almost entirely out of OSB (oriented strata board), and as it isn't quite as rigid as thick plywood, it's been substantially braced all over.

Here's a general view:

 photo pit02_zps9c2ef05d.jpg

The concrete has been ordered for the coming Friday, and before then I have to add a couple of square-section bits of wood to the top edge (to give a ledge for the boards that will cover the pit) and cut and bend some of the reinforcing grille  to make the whole thing as strong as possible.

Mark and I both (separately) calculated how much concrete we'd need. I came out with a figure of seven cubic metres, Mark with eight (but he reckoned there'd be a bit over. As the biggest lorry is only seven and a half cubic metres, that's what is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers