Thursday 29 October 2015

Final measurements .... I hope

Back over at the Fort this afternoon for a couple of further measurements - the depths of the old beams holding up the floor.

 photo denatwork_zpswndfhd6h.jpg

I've now drawn the designs at as a large a scale as possible, spotted a couple of problems and re-drawn them, and I'm reasonably sure I know where to start: at the top, and against the wall. Everything is then worked back and away from the stringer it's impossible to put in afterwards.

Oh well, I know what I mean, even if I can't explain it....

The beams are now all a little cleaner, after being sandblasted, and - from my particular point of view - it should be possible to see the old nails in them before using a chisel. 

 photo denatwork2_zps4zz0zveh.jpg

Removing several centuries' worth of dirt has revealed some very interesting grain - and a lot of very old woodworm - on the things like this doorframe.

And now, or at least very soon, the first bits of the stairs - the low plinth they'll stand on, to spread the weight over the floorboards - will be cut, sanded, routered, shaped, and installed. And then it'll be the first newel post and stringer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers