Friday 14 August 2009

and then the computer crashed

As if my back wasn't enough, when I turned on the computer I had the blue screen of death this morning, followed by a corrupted Windows load - well, it didn't load at all. Eventually I reloaded Windows from the disc that had mysteriously arrived at Elm Grove a few months back (thus erasing all my settings, drivers, software, etc, but not the data files luckily), and after several chats with Simon I reinstalled the wireless driver and got back onto the internet.

I haven't yet been able to resurrect Outlook, though.

Still, it's nice warm weather and my back is certainly improving if I don't spend too much time hunched over the PC.

Last night it was Stephanie's (35th) birthday, and I joined about 25 other adults and a dozen children (though I may have been counting the same ones more than once) for drinks and a barbecue. I should have known that if I got there at 7.30 - as Didi suggested - the food wouldn't be served until 10.30, so there was plenty of time to chat. Too much of it spent listening to Jean-Pierre, but not understanding very much - summer problems with the weather I think. The children had a new kitten, which tolerated being carried around by the smaller children remarkably well. But then Leontine's dogs went for it, and it retreated under a car with a great deal of hissing and spitting. And THEN it retreated inside the engine bay, where it defeated everyone's efforts (including its own) at removal, until eventually Didi dismantled part of the engine shielding and got it out. Prior to that it could be seen inside the grille on the front of the car, walking back and forth and mewing loudly, and occasionally sticking its paws out through various small openings. After that it was confined to the house....

It was nice to meet Didi's and Stephanie's parents - the former a lot older than the latter (is Didi a youngest child and Stephanie an oldest one?) - but really the entire neighbourhood was there, so all in all a pleasant way to spend a summer evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers