Wednesday 9 February 2011

Getting warmer

Still grinding away at the work surface - more correctly, sanding away. I've now finished both the interior framework and the exterior oak cladding, the facade that you'll be able to see when it's done. I assembled the facade loosely in place this morning, but without most of the framework. You can see on the left hand side there's one piece of wood that needs to be trimmed to length:

Photobucket

After this, I took it all apart again and cleaned and sanded all the surfaces that will show. This is in a sense the last bit of preparation. These bits of oak started off as 3cm thick sawn oak planks, which I have planed to 2cm and then cut to size. The joints were what really took all the time, though now I am almost finished (what about the cupboard doors and drawers, eh?) I can do them a bit quicker. Here is a flat-pack version, exploded view, after cleaning it all up:

Photobucket

I then spent the rest of the afternoon painting the inner surfaces with a first top coat, and tomorrow - after slapping some emulsion on the walls (I've just realised I'd be better doing this before assembling the wood, as I won't need to mask it all up first) - I should be able to do a second coat, with the final fix in place set for Friday. We'll see .....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers