Thursday 19 November 2015

Getting it square

I'm working on what will be the fourth stringer, the last of the ones for the downstairs part of the staircase. 

The planks I've bought have been rough-sawn on a big band saw, and after that they have warped a little, leaving one side dished and the other..... er ... convex. The big band saw obviously has a couple of misaligned teeth, so the result is that there's a series of gashes across the wood at regular intervals. I have to plane both sides far enough to be able to take out these saw-cuts.

It's ironic that it's only the very big bits of wood that I have to work by hand, with old-fashioned planes. The thinner ones will go through the planer on the machine. These have both their weight against them, and their width - the planer would in theory manage up to 20cm, and these are 25cm. But I don't think I'd want to risk them in the machine anyway.

The wood has also been of distinctly variable quality - the third stringer was very difficult, cross-grained on all four edges, so that it had to be planed in different directions. This one, however, was an ideal piece: all the grain in the same direction, no knots to speak of: just those band saw cuts to be removed. It started like this - I've put in a couple of strokes of the plane to show the wood surface:

 photo planed3_zps9mxonfw5.jpg

After about twenty minutes with the small coffin plane, it looked like this:

 photo planed4_zpsg3iig0s8.jpg

I couldn't quite bring myself to finish the concave side before starting the convex one, so I was turning it over from time to time:

 photo planed2_zpsda3whh4c.jpg

Later on, I'd got it looking pretty clean, except at the edges:

 photo planed5_zpsj0pfmkcs.jpg

And by the time I was properly satisfied, I think I must have taken about a millimetre off both sides. And that took most of the afternoon. But it won't be long now before I start putting up the newel posts and trying to fit the stringers into them. That would be a milestone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers