Tuesday 24 November 2015

Up the wall

The jig I cut to give me the correct angle for cutting the ends isn't right for cutting at any other angle, so when it came to taking a bit of surplus height off the stringer I had to go back to a handsaw.

 photo steps2_zpsqprwn2hd.jpg

I'd had some trouble getting the saw to start in the right place, but I remembered an old hint: cut a starter groove with a wide chisel first (which ensures a straight line, hopefully one that you get in the right place) and then put the saw in that. I was quite pleased with the fine cut - I wanted a small amount of the stringer to project above the level of the very top step.

Eventually, when there are some steps, no doubt it will. For the moment I have to content myself with seeing it in position. This is only a temporary fix, as the plasterboard needs to go up first.

 photo steps1_zpseoiyqal5.jpg

It arrives on the level I had marked for the floor of the landing about two centimetres too low. I think this is because the lower floor has a slope down from the right to the left. I had taken the proposed height of the landing from the floor level: measured down from the floor above it's exactly right. I'm pretty sure the stringers down to the ground level won't need to be adapted. But we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers